Aren’t we all very used to THE NEW NORMAL when it comes to Education?
The COVID – 19 pandemic has triggered new ways of learning. Today, digital learning has emerged as a necessary resource for students and schools all over the World. This is an entirely new way of education that they have had to adopt. In recent months, the demand for online learning has risen significantly and will continue doing so in future.
Considering most teaching methods also has its own set of positives and negatives. Online learning is now applicable not just to learn academics but it also extends to learning extracurricular activities for students as well.
Advantages of Online Education:
- Efficiency: Online learning offers teachers an efficient way to deliver lessons to students. Online Learning has a number of tools such as videos, PDFs, podcasts and teachers can use all these tools as part of their lesson plans. By extending the lesson plan beyond traditional textbooks to include online resources, teachers are able to become more efficient educators.
- Affordability: Another advantage of online learning is reduced financial costs. This also helps in creating paperless learning environment which is more affordable and making it beneficial to the environment.
- Improved Student Attendance: Since Online classes can be taken from home or location of choice, there are fewer chances of students missing out on lessons.
- Accessibility of Time and Place: It allows students to attend classes from any location of their choice. Also Online lectures can be recorded, archived and shared for future reference. This allows students to access the learning material at the time of their comfort. Thus, online learning offers students the accessibility of time and place in education.
- Suits a variety of Learning Styles: Every student has a different learning journey and a different learning styles. Some students are visual learners, while some students prefer to learn through audio. The online learning system, with its range of options and resources can be personalised in many ways. It is the best way to create a perfect learning environment suited to the needs of each student.
Disadvantages of Online Learning:
- Inability to focus on screens: For many students one of the biggest challenges of online learning is the struggle with focusing on the screen for long periods of time. It is imperative for the teachers to keep their online classes crisp, engaging and interactive to help students stay focused on the lesson.
- Technology Issues: Another key challenge of Online classes is internet connectivity.In smaller cities and towns there are huge connectivity issues which makes it difficult for a student to learn with consistency.This is detrimental to the education process.
- Sense of Isolation: Students can learn a lot from being in the company of their fellow mates. However on an online platform there absolutely no physical interaction which leads to sense of isolation among students.
- Teacher Training: Very often, teachers have a very basic understanding of technology whereas online learning demands the teachers to be to have a better understanding of digital learning. Sometimes they don’t even have the right tools to conduct online classes.
However, now we have all figured out the share of good and bad when it comes to online learning. To deal with this situation students of this generation have to go through the ups and downs that online learning has to offer as its the only way out.