“Emotions can get in the way or get you on the way”. -Mavis Mazhura
As we move forward with our daily lives, we experience a variety of emotions. Thus, emotions are feelings. Emotions are a fundamental character of what our identity and yet they can be chaotic, complicated and difficult to understand. Realization to how to name them and talk about them — with both yourself and other people — is a vital part of the creation of developing wellbeing. Emotions can be characterized as mental states, that include thoughts and sentiments, physiological changes, expressive practices, and tendencies to act.
There are different types of emotion:
B. WHAT DOES MANAGING EMOTIONS MEAN?
Managing emotional reactions means choosing how and when to express the emotions we feel. Individuals who work effectively to manage their emotions realizes the beneficiality to communicate their sentiments — yet it’s important to how (and when) they express them. Also, they’re ready to respond to circumstances in a fruitful manner, such as:
- They have knowledge of when it is appropriate to speak and when it’s better to wait before reacting or responding to what they feel.
- They can decide that whether they want to react instead of allowing emotions to influence them to do or say something which they regret later.
- The realization of the reaction to what’s to impact and its consequences -including how others react to them and the manner in which they feel about themselves.
You’ve most likely been in a circumstance where somebody responded in a way that was excessively emotional that made you feel humiliated, or bad for the individual, or you might have been in a circumstance where your own feelings were so strong that it took all your self-control to not go down to that path by yourself.
Possibly you can think about the time where you didn’t deal with your reactions. It happens, and when it does, forgive yourself and focus on what you can do to manage these emotions.
C. HOW TO IDENTIFY EMOTIONAL STATE?
You can start this process by asking yourself questions that will lead you in understanding the approach in which that particular feeling has influenced you. You need to ask yourself questions such as:
- What am I feeling now?
- What are my senses telling me?
- What is it that I want?
- What judgments or conclusions have I made (and are they accurate)?
The responses to these questions are important to utilize your feelings in the assistance of your life objectives, instead of permitting your feelings to utilize you.
Often, our body reactions are an important source or clues to understand the nature of emotions. Such as if your head pounds, your heart races, and you feel progressively tense and hot, you are most likely to be angry. On the other hand, a person can identify his/her emotions by the way they make you think, act and feel.
D. IMPORTANCE OF MANAGING EMOTIONS
1. Comprehend the purpose of your feeling
The need to recognize an emotion to comprehend what it is and to understand what it’s indicating to advise us. For instance, if a youngster is spending time in a gathering of individuals who makes him feel miserable, restless and under tension – it is significant that the adolescent can perceive this and understand that his feelings are designated him to follow the right circumstances.
2.NEGATIVE EMOTIONS CAN RESULT IN NEGATIVE THOUGHTS
The struggle to understand one’s feelings can result in negative thoughts. It’s very important to realize as an individual to know we are responsible of our own thoughts and that it can affect our mindset. Thus,
3. To help you feel more in control
The management of our emotions can influence one’s behaviour and mood. Facing a lot of negative emotions can result in disconnected from various daily activities. Thus, it is important to recognize these emotions and try to find a solution to help a person be in control.
For example: if a person is feeling anxious, sad, angry or worried it can have a huge impact on their relationship with friends, partner, family or overall feeling of happiness.
E. REGULATING EMOTIONS
There are number of ways through which a person can regulate their emotions even though it is important to understand and differentiate between the way of being harmful and helpful in managing negative emotions. Below is a list of some helpful and harmful ways of regulating emotions:
|HELPFUL WAYS||HARMFUL WAYS|
|Be good and kind to others||Withdrawal|
|Distract yourself||Substance use|
|Talk to someone||Bullying|
Let’s understand some helpful ways in detail.
1.Exercise: It’ a fact that doing exercise for atleast 45 minutes each day can make you feel better as it releases the chemicals such as endorphins that improves the mood and enhances self-esteem.
2. Be good to others as it will help you to stressing about yourself.
3. Distract yourself: It can be done by engaging yourself in certain activities such as watching T.V, reading books, gardening, cooking etc. (anything that a person adores do the most)
4. Practice gratitude: Gratitude refers to the quality of being thankful and it can be practiced by keeping a journal of gratitude or sharing your gratitude with your loved ones.
5. Talk to someone: Invest time on other people and appreciate each part of the conversation.
6. Spend time outside: Being in fresh air, particularly around nature, is useful for calming the feelings.