For some people, depression may mean showing a sad face all the time, not responding to anyone, sitting in a room all day, and more. Depression is not always a combination of all these symptoms, some people are depressed but still, show happy faces. We must clearly understand what it actually means and must get out of it before it is too late.
Common Symptoms of Depression
- Trouble in Concentrating : People with depression may feel difficulty or trouble in concentrating on their jobs. They even feel extremely hard to even take simple decisions due to lack of concentration.
- Insomnia : Insomnia is one of the most common symptoms of depression. They either sleep for long number of hours or never sleep at all. It varies with person to person. Even sometimes they wake at early morning without knowing.
- Guilty Feeling : Depressed state can also happen due to inability or failure to do an important job. It starts with feeling guilty all the time thinking about the work and stressing themselves too much. It makes them feel helpless and alone all the time even they are always being surrounded by friends , family or relatives.
- Lose of Interest : People start to lose interest over things that are once their favourite one. It may be hobbies like drawing, dancing, singing or even visiting places that are their favourite ones initially.
- Restlessness : Inability to relax or inability to make your mind calm and peace is called Restlessness. It happens due to over stress, thinking about something all the time and excess usage of devices like Mobile Phones, Laptop and television etc.
- Overeating/ Appetite Loss : It happens in two ways , either feeling of hunger at all times or feeling full at all time. It is also a symptom of depression which most people fail to address it at early stages of their life.
- Unbalanced feelings : Sometimes they feel too happy, sometimes too sad, sometimes too anxious with no meaning, sometimes too angry without knowing. Their feelings become unpredictable and meaningless during their depressed state of mind.
- Digestive problems : Even stomach ache for a long period of time , without reacting to medicines is a symptom of depression.
Most of these symptoms are the common ones, the failure to address them for a long period may lead to suicidal thoughts or suicidal attempts.
Ways to overcome depression
- Surround yourself with motivation
- Do yoga and meditation
- Always ask for help without hesitation.
- Go out to new places for refreshment.
- Take breaks during job to avoid stress.
- Eat healthy food like fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Create new hobbies
- Do activities that keeps both our mind and body calm.
- Focus on people who will be there for you during both good and bad times.
- Always get minimum six hours of sleep daily.
- It’s okay to say ‘no’ to works which is either stressful or not possible.
“Don’t let life discourage you everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.”Richard L. Evans